To be able to rent a car in a country other than your own, you will need an International Driving Permit authorized by the International drivers association if you are from the United States and visiting another country or visiting the United States from another country. Before a person can rent a car in that country, even rental car companies with branches in different countries will need to see an International Driving Permit. There are a few necessities that should be met before an IDP will be given and the licenses are not legitimate in each country.
- The International Driving Permit is a unique license that tourists in a different country use to drive without having to take the driving test that is required to get a driver's license in that country. This document tells officials and car rental companies in another country that the person has been approved to drive in their home country. Before an IDP can be issued, the individual must be over the age of 18 and hold a valid driver's license in their home country.
- When driving a vehicle in another country, this permit and the driver's license issued by the individual's country of origin must always be carried by the individual. It does not provide a license to drive on its own. Both the individual's personal driver’s license and the IDP must be surrendered to the authorities if the individual is stopped for a traffic violation in the country they are visiting. The information on the International Driving Permit is written in eleven different languages to ensure that local authorities can comprehend it.
- The permit is only valid for one year from the date it was issued, and it cannot be renewed or extended. The applicant will be required to submit a new application form each time a new IDP is required. You are required to complete the permit application and submit two passport-sized photographs in addition to a photocopy of both the front and back of your valid driver’s license. The IDP document includes a photograph and vital statistics and is the same size as a standard passport.
Even if a person does not intend to rent a car in the country they are visiting, they still need to have an International Driving Permit to drive in that country. The International Driving Permit provides the individual with an additional form of photo identification and is printed in a variety of languages to enable locals to read and comprehend the information. This is of great assistance if other forms of identification are misplaced or are unable to be understood by local authorities. The International Driving Permit is a valuable form of identification for the individual and can be of assistance to the individual in times of crisis due to its recognition in more than 150 nations. Before turning around a sharp corner or passing through a country, you are often required to honk your horn or flash your lights.
- Find out who has the right of way in a traffic circle before you start your journey.
- Make sure you have liability insurance if you rent a car. This could result in financial ruin if you do not.